Okay, that's a bit of a stretch, I have bought tights, under garments, and about five dresses, three of which were associated with my wedding. This is really a feat for me, because I used to have a serious shopping problem.
Anyway, several years ago, I had this idea while a friend was cleaning out her closet, maybe someone would find treasures in my trash as I was in hers. I pitched the idea to a couple friends, and it turned out a lot of my friends had already been doing this. I immediately planned my first one and it was such a success, I have been participating in them for over two years and pretty much stopped shopping for clothes. It's a total win-win-win situation, you get rid of clothes you don't want, you get awesome new clothes, and we donate everything not chosen to a thrift shop!
So last weekend, my dear friend Aurora Lady hosted a clothing exchange "This Shirt is my New Valentine" and I decided to invite you into our tradition.
Below are our rules for clothing swaps and a bunch of photos of girl's in their new clothes! It is so cool to see people fall in love with things that you once were so happy with and have kind of let fall to the back of your closet. This particular exchange, I also raided my craft room for pieces I decided not to sell on my etsy.
Our Clothing Swap Rules:
1. Only bring things you do not want any more. It is not a bartering system, it is a shopping spree. Also, be aware that you probably won't come home with the same amount of stuff as you brought. But, that's okay, because you are upgrading your wardrobe and getting rid of stuff you weren't wearing anyway!
2. Let everyone know when to be there to start organizing, and what time you plan on starting to swap. This makes things easier because as soon as you start seeing clothes you will want to start and it helps reel you in. Additionally, this rewards your punctual lady friends. Leave your boyfriends at home, having guys at clothing exchanges really changes the atmosphere and makes a lot of girls uncomfortable.
3. Organize clothes into piles or racks. Dresses, skirts, shirts, bottoms, accessories, and shoes should all go into separate piles for easy "shopping." Also set up a portion of the home for "claimed" pieces. Either a separate room or on a staircase. This keeps everyone happy because they don't have to worry about their stuff getting accidentally taken.
4. At the starting swap time, start trying on what you want! Try to have plenty of mirrors, especially full length, handy. Before you put something in your take-home pile, be sure to ask if anyone else wants to try it. If you love it, someone else might! Usually after a couple girls try something on, it's clear that it works better on one of them better. Maybe you have a giant pile of clothes you are taking and this is the first thing the other girl wants... But, if all else fails, bring in the Rock, Paper, Scissors.
5. Don't be a bitch. Hoarding or hiding clothes is not cool. Everyone is participating in this because they want new things and want to get rid of their old things. Let me reiterate, only bring things that you would just be donating. If you think you can sell them on eBay or at Buffalo Exchange, do that before you bring them to a clothing exchange.
6. Be kind. Ask your host if you can bring snacks or drinks and offer to help her haul everything to a thrift shop when you are done.
7. Have fun!
|Our host, Aurora, in her new top!|
|Gorgeous Helena in a Minnie dress that I made last year|
|I scored this ridiculous cat scarf... How cute!|
|This jacket was nicknamed the "Hip-Hop" jacket|
|Miss Lola Blanc in her new duds.|
|Tweedy took my Teen Witch top and some new hairclips!|
|Tatiana in her new "Picnic Dress."|
|Helena in a pair of bunny ears I made and one of the girl's Quinceañera dress.|
|Another pair of ears I made, this time on Maria of Locketship.|
|This sweater has made the rounds, this is it's fourth owner, and we've all been attached to it at one point.|
|I loved this flower dress when I first got it, but I haven't worn it lately, excited it has a new home!|
|Another dress I got, it is soo cute!|
|This dress was my big win, I found it right away and battled some serious "Rock, Paper, Scissors" for it!|